Find Answers - Answer Detail Page

Licenses and Permits

If public or private land, state-owned property, a beach or a certain waterbody is not fenced or posted, can I hunt, fish, boat or otherwise use the area for recreational purposes?

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission cannot give express permission to enter or access any property other than the areas owned or managed by the Commission.

To determine if you can ride ATV's or horses, hunt, fish or boat or otherwise use a certain area, you will need to find out who owns or manages the area and ask them what rules or restrictions apply there. City, county, state and federal regulations may all apply depending on the area.

Public or private land that is not posted or fenced, including certain beaches and water bodies, may be managed to limit public access or the activities allowed there. Title to the land under a body of water may be deeded to a private or public entity (city, county, state or federal). Therefore you will need to identify and contact that managing entity before accessing the property or adjacent water bodies.

You can research the land records at the local county property appraiser's office to determine ownership and/or identify the managing public entity (city, county, state, or other agency).

It is a violation of Chapter 379.104, Florida Statutes, to interfere with a person who is legally fishing or hunting on public waters or property.  However, property owners who feel they have a trespass claim, can file a complaint with the local sheriff or police department.

Cities, counties, and state and federal agencies may choose to manage public land, beaches and water bodies within their boundaries under their own rules or ordinances. A public entity that allows public access may or may not allow hunting, fishing, boating or other recreational activities. If such recreational activities are allowed, the managing entity may restrict or regulate them through its own rules or ordinances.

Public entities that allow hunting may choose to enroll the property in Florida's Wildlife Management Program, in which case the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) would create or modify a Wildlife Management Area (WMA) to include the property.

It is a felony (5 years imprisonment, $5000 fine, or both) to shoot over or across someone else's land without permission. Hunting is prohibited within state and federal park boundaries. Before hunting on lands other than the WMAs, please contact the city and county law enforcement agencies to find out if the discharge of firearms is prohibited.


Licenses and Permits
Related Answers